Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Wewahootee Road

Wewahootee Road


Spirits of Native American warriors run on the hidden trail.
I was out chasing Democrats who Vote By Mail.

Dark was falling; the road ahead unclear.
The sign on the side of the road said I had a lot to fear.
“You’re on your own beyond this boundary.”
That was the warning from Orange County.

I steered slowly around potholes bigger than my Civic.
To some less committed, I might look heroic.
If I go missing, my F.O., Bryan, knows the plan. 
Point the searchers to the last turf I cut on VAN.

Re-entering paved roadway and seeing homes clustered,
I searched for my targets, trying not to feel flustered.
Voter Guides, cards for Charlie and George at the ready,
Checking my map, I kept my hands on the wheel steady.

Reading house numbers in the dark strains my sight,
But I struggle on with the help of an occasional light.
One strong supporter brightens my night.
She’s fired up and ready to join our fight.

Heading for home, I hear ghost warriors chanting of the beauty
That once graced the hidden trail named Wewahootee.

No comments:

Post a Comment